On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 3:03 AM, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use postgresql's unlogged tables on an embedded system
> to avoid frequent writes to flash memory.
> While documentation clearly states that unlogged tables don't have to
> go through the WAL,

That's not really true.  There are no per-row WAL records.  There is still
a per-transaction WAL record, the commit record. If you only care about the
timing of the WAL and not the volume, changing to unlogged will not make a
difference.  (These commit-only records are automatically dealt with
asynchronously, even if synchronous-commit is on.)

Cheers,

Jeff