On Mar 6, 2014, at 1:25 PM, Steve Crawford <scrawf...@pinpointresearch.com>
wrote:

> On 03/06/2014 09:33 AM, Israel Brewster wrote:
>> For starters, this happened again this morning (no data prior to 4:45 am and
>> sequence reset), so whatever is going on appears to be reoccurring. Also, I
>> forgot to mention if it is significant: this is running on slackware liunux
>> 14.0
>>

>> Also odd is that my cleanup script runs at 1am. I have records of there
>> being new data in the database up to 3:51am, but the oldest record
>> currently in the DB is from 4:45am (as specified by the default of now()
>> on the column). So I know records were added after my delete command
>> ran, but before this reset occurred.
>>
> A shot in the dark...
>
> Have you searched /etc/crontab, root's crontab, PostgreSQL's crontab and the
> crontabs of any automatic scripts that connect. I'm not sure about Slackware
> but Red Hat and Centos run the cron.daily scripts at (wait for it...) just
> after 4am.

Good shot - you nailed it! I found a rouge script in /etc/crontab.daily that
ran the following line at 4:40am:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -h <domain name of localhost> -U tracking -cs |
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -U postgres tracking

It must have been left over from before I got streaming replication up and
working, when this box was still the backup server and not primary -i.e. the
domain name in the first half wasn't for the local machine until I swapped
machines. Apparently when you do a pg_dump with the -c flag from a server to
itself, it does the clean before reading the data, resulting in a new empty
database. Thanks again for all the suggestions!