On 03/21/2014 05:29 PM, john.tiger wrote:
thks for quick comments - see below:

On 03/21/2014 06:00 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 03/21/2014 04:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd

sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role

su - postgress
enter password  =>  authentication failure

So did you really type postgress (note extra s) or is this just an
email error?

   email error

hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
standard default ?

This is a packager decision, in other words something Debian did.

   I didn't mean it was pre-set to trust - actually pre set to "peer"  -
I set it to  "trust" to try to fix failure - no luck - it did not work
but do think default should be set to "md5" or "trust" but based on mail
list msgs maybe md5 is better than trust

still authentication failure (after rebooting)

now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?

You would think. Are you sure it is not running? In other words have
you done a ps ax and looked to see if it is running.  It could also be
that it running a listening on a different port. It would be helpful
if you showed the actual full error messages. The fragment you show
above (if I am assuming right) usually asks if the server is running
and listening on port XXXX

sorry - trying to install on another machine not running email  -

I am not following. Is this the same install we have been diagnosing and you are saying it is on different machine then your email client, or are trying a new seperate install on a different machine?

"connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"

I am guessing there is more to this error message.

Have you checked in /var/run/postgresql/ to see if the socket is being set up there?

ps aux => shows it running

btw - trying to install this on chromebook running crouton - wonder if
this is causing

EDIT from @rodrigo

   hmm, user postgres vs os postgres - okay understand what you mean but
how is this fixed ?  or what is proper procedure ?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com