I'm working on an ETL system that is driven from Java/JDBC but is implemented
mostly as SQL queries against a PostgreSQL database.

An ETL "job" runs inside its own transaction and consists of a series of
queries that transform the data from staging tables to the destination tables.
If a failure occurs, the transaction rolls back so there's no "debris" left
over -- which makes troubleshooting very difficult.

In the Java world we have JPDA, which allows us to connect to a running JVM to
examine the state of variables and set breakpoints, etc.

Assuming I can pause the driving Java code between queries in a job, is there
any way to connect from PGAdmin (or another tool) and view the state of tables
in the in-progress transaction?  If this is not currently possible, how
difficult would it be to do?