På lørdag 03. mai 2014 kl. 23:21:21, skrev Alban Hertroys <haram...@gmail.com
<mailto:haram...@gmail.com>>:
 On 03 May 2014, at 12:45, Andreas Joseph Krogh <andr...@visena.com> wrote:

 > Do you really need to query message_property twice? I would think this
would give the same results:

 > SELECT
 >     m.id                          AS message_id,
 >     prop.person_id,
 >     coalesce(prop.is_read, FALSE) AS is_read,
 >     m.subject
 > FROM message m
 >     LEFT OUTER JOIN message_property prop ON prop.message_id = m.id AND
prop.person_id = 1 AND prop.is_read = FALSE
 > ;

 Ah yes, of course that would match a bit too much. This however does give the
same results:

 SELECT
    m.id                          AS message_id,
    prop.person_id,
    coalesce(prop.is_read, FALSE) AS is_read,
    m.subject
 FROM message m
    LEFT OUTER JOIN message_property prop ON prop.message_id = m.id AND
prop.person_id = 1
 WHERE prop.is_read IS NULL OR prop.is_read = FALSE
 ;

 That shaves off half the time of the query here, namely one indexscan.

 The remaining time appears to be spent finding the rows in “message" that do
not have a corresponding “message_property" for the given (message_id,
person_id) tuple. It’s basically trying to find no needle in a haystack, you
won’t know that there is no needle until you’ve searched the entire haystack.

 It does seem to help a bit to create separate indexes on
message_property.message_id and  message_property.person_id; that reduces the
sizes of the indexes that the database needs to match and merge other in order
to find the missing message_id’s.   I think the consesus here is to create a
caching-table, there's no way around it as PG is unable to index the difference
between two sets.   -- Andreas Jospeh Krogh CTO / Partner - Visena AS Mobile:
+47 909 56 963 andr...@visena.com <mailto:andr...@visena.com> www.visena.com
<https://www.visena.com>  <https://www.visena.com>