Is there a way to replace a production database with another as part of a
new "release" of our website?

Where I work we have a scheme of pushing code+db releases to "testing" and
then to "production". Most of our databases use MySQL and I was told they
can just rename the db and it works. We are adopting PostgreSQL for some
new developments and we'd like to do something similar. I've tried loading
the dump in a single transaction, but that has many problems as the
database is fairly big for that (some GBs). Is there a trick I'm missing
here?

Thanks a lot!

Nicolás.-