William Nolf wrote on 24.07.2014 21:04:
This is probably an easy one for most sql users but I don't use it
very often.

We have a postgres database that was used for an application we no
longer use.  However, we would

like to copy/dump the tables to files, text or csv so we can post
them to sharepoint.

Copy seems to be what I want.  But it only does one table at a time.
There is 204 tables with a schemaname=public.  I need to be copy the
tables with data to files.   I need something like a for

loop which checks if the table is populated if so, copy it to
tablename.csv file

Any ideas?

If you are not constrained to psql you might want to have a look at my tool SQL
Workbench/J (http://www.sql-workbench.net/) which contains an export command to
do just that: export all tables of a schema (or multiple schemas) in a defined
format,  see here: http://www.sql-workbench.net/manual/command-export.html

Using that, this would be as easy as:

WbExport -outputDir=/some/export/directory
         -type=text
         -header=true
         -delimiter=','
         -sourceTable=public.*;

You also have more control over the format of the exported data than you would
have with psql I dare say.

Disclosure: I am the author of that tool.

Regards
Thomas