On 09/23/2014 04:01 PM, Carlos Carcamo wrote:
Hello list, I need some help with this error:
pg_dump: saving encoding = UTF8
pg_dump: saving standard_conforming_strings = on
pg_dump: [archiver] -C and -c are incompatible options
pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

Process returned exit code 1.

I get this error when i'm trying to create a backup of some of my
tables of the database, i'm using pgadmin3, I've searched on internet
about it, but I couldn't find useful info.

I will appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

According to pgAdmin3 you cannot use both -C and -c at the same time.

Not sure why:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/app-pgdump.html

-c
--clean

Output commands to clean (drop) database objects prior to outputting the commands for creating them. (Restore might generate some harmless error messages, if any objects were not present in the destination database.)

This option is only meaningful for the plain-text format. For the archive formats, you can specify the option when you call pg_restore.

-C
--create

Begin the output with a command to create the database itself and reconnect to the created database. (With a script of this form, it doesn't matter which database in the destination installation you connect to before running the script.) If --clean is also specified, the script drops and recreates the target database before reconnecting to it.

This option is only meaningful for the plain-text format. For the archive formats, you can specify the option when you call pg_restore.

What version of pgAdmin3 are you using?

What options are you using when running the pgAdmin3 backup tool?

I ask because pgAdmin will not issue a CREATE DATABASE by default.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com