On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Joseph Kregloh <jkreg...@sproutloud.com>
wrote:

> One thing I am pushing to do is using SSDs for the ZIL and L2ARC. This
> would allow for a pretty nice boost in speed.

I use ZFS on freebsd as my large production server configuration as well. I
have SSDs for the L2ARC and that works *really* well. I do not use a ZIL at
all. Using the ZFS compression is a big win, along with all the other
management advantages you already outlined.

There is a minor speed penalty, but the other advantages far outweigh
those. That and throwing 256GB of RAM at the problem makes it more or less
go away.