Seems you have a locale mismatch issue. The dump is coming from a locale
>>> where a '.' is the decimal mark and is being restored to a locale where
>>> ',' is the mark. Look at what the locales are the machines that work and
>>> the one that does not.

I have already done that and found something strange:

On the PC where the backup was done with pg_dump, all locale settings of
Postgres were English/United States. (LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MONETARY,
LC_NUMERIC in postgresql.conf)

On the first PC on which I tried to load the backup file with psql, all
locale settings if Postgres were  German_Germany. Everything is ok, the SQL
file with '.' as decimal point was accepted without a problem

On the second PC (Virtual Machine) I had the SAME settings in
postgresql.conf (German_Germany)

-> no success

I tried to change all the settings to English/United States, restart
postgres

-> still no success

Changed all Windows settings to English / United States

-> still no success.

So what I am searching for (at the moment without success) is the 'switch'
which decides what decimal seperator to expect by psql.

> That's what it sounds like all right, but how could that be?  The behavior
>> of float8in/float8out is not supposed to be locale-dependent.
>>
>> float8in does depend on strtod(), whose behavior is locale-dependent
>> according to POSIX, but we keep LC_NUMERIC set to "C" to force it to
>> only believe that "." is decimal point.
>>

> Not sure if this makes a difference but if I am reading the original post
> correctly the OP was trying a plain text restore via psql.

This is correct.

regards and thanks for your support,
Eric Svenson