On 12/10/2014 6:53 PM, Israel Brewster wrote:
Currently, when I need to create/edit a stored procedure in Postgresql,
my workflow goes like the following:

- Create/edit the desired function in my "DB Commands" text file
- Copy and paste function into my development database
- Test
- repeat above until it works as desired
- Copy and paste function into my production DB.

To edit an existing function, the workflow is basically the same as
above, but I first have to find the function in my file.

This whole workflow just feels kludgy to me. Is there a better way? Or
is that essentially the recommended procedure? Thanks.
Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska
5245 Airport Industrial Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907) 450-7293

This is pretty much what I do as well. I keep all my scripts and check them into subversion though. I edit them with vim and use the dbext plugin to run snippets on the test db.

Once I'm ready I run it on production. (Could be an entire file, or just a copy/paste of a block) I use psql for everything. (vim dbext uses psql as well)

It doesn't seem that clunky though. You do a bunch of stuff on testdb, once you get it right you do it on livedb. I don't see any other ways of doing it.

-Andy