to_hex() takes in integer or bigint and returns a hexadecimal string
equivalent. But there is also, perhaps better, encode() and decode() which
convert string to either base64, hex, or "escape" codes.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/functions-string.html

--
​
While a transcendent vocabulary is laudable, one must be eternally careful

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Maranatha! <><
John McKown