Samuel Smith schrieb am 23.02.2015 um 05:21:
> I am stuck with redhat as the OS so I'll only have initdb. But this is a good
> point.
> I assume there is nothing wrong with having multiple postgres instances
> (clusters) all running under a
> single postgres user on different ports on the same machine?

No, there isn't. One important advantage of that is that you can do a PITR for
each customer individually.
If you keep all your databases in a single instance/cluster you can only do
PITR for all of them.
For a multi-tenant system I don't think that will be acceptable.

Another advantage is, that you can have control superuser access on a
per-cluster basis

> But then what is the best way to handle connecting to an individual cluster
> (local only for admin purposes) with psql?

psql uses several environment variables for the default connection information:

  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-envars.html

You can either create one shell script for each instance/cluster or use
different OS users that have different default environment variables - that
would be closer to what you have now.

Thomas