On Friday, April 10, 2015, Sameer Kumar <sameer.ku...@ashnik.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 12:57 AM David G. Johnston <
> david.g.johns...@gmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','david.g.johns...@gmail.com');>> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.ku...@ashnik.com
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','sameer.ku...@ashnik.com');>> wrote:
>>

> Yes either an upper bound to which users can set their own values to.
>

>> Upper is somewhat easier but currently the system would only recognize a
>> global constraint.
>>

> Does it? Even though my work_mem in postgresql.conf is 1MB, the user can
> alter itself to set its own work_mem to 1GB. Or did I interpret your
> statement wrongly?

Pg_settings currently has an upper bound column - though it is a view and
that value cannot be changed that I know of.  But if it could I suspect
that whatever catalog you would change to affect it would only cause a
global change.  There is no alter database, role, or postgresql way to
change that value.

 David J.