Hello Rick,

As I understand it you are correct. Oracle/DB2/Postgres and I think the SQL
Standards to not implement constraints against tables on foreign servers.
Although it would be possible to develop the DBMS to handle such
constraints in a heterogeneous distributed environment it would be unwise
because of the poor performance and reliability of data sent over networks
so DBMSs do not implement it. You would, as you suspected, have to use
stored procedures to emulate some of the functionality of a foreign key but
definitely think twice about the performance bottlenecks you would
introduce. A more clever thing to do is use Slony, BDR, or triggers to
replicate the foreign table and create the constraint against the local
copy. In some other DBMSs the clever thing to do is create a materialized
view and constraints against the materialized view (which achieves the
same) but Postgres does not yet support such constraints against
materialized views.

*Will J. Dunn*
*willjdunn.com <http://willjdunn.com>*