On 01/22/2016 09:30 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
On Jan 22, 2016, at 9:25 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.kla...@aklaver.com> wrote:

It excludes people who don’t participate in the list because of issues they’ve
had there in the past.

When and whom? This is the time for those that had issues to speak up either
directly or through someone else. In doing so though I would expect verifiable
information.

So here we have a chicken-and-egg issue. If there is no CoC (or an insufficient
one), then people who have been hurt in the past don’t want to participate. You
need the security of a CoC before it’s safe to come back. It is not up to them
to prove themselves to you, to verify that they have suffered just for some
sort of confirmation for you.

Actually they or someone does, if for no other reason then to define what hurt is? A good part of the endless discussion has revolved around at what point people take offense. Without some actual input from those who have felt offended, then the discussion is pretty much useless.

The way to involve a broader audience is to solicit feedback from outside the
immediate confines of a single mail list. Or even the community itself. People
have left the community because of issues; how do you get their help fixing the
things over which they left?

BTW, I am one of those “through someone else” people of which you speak.

Then speak to details.

Best,

David

--