On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Scott R Mead <sco...@openscg.com> wrote:

> > Can a hot standby run correctly with the xlog-files on a ramdisk?
>> >

>> Yes, but, if you lose any, you'll need to rebuild the standby.
>>

> Even if the master and archive contain all the wal files?
>
> If you have the file somewhere, you're okay, whether it's on the master,
> standby or an archive host.  If you're using log-shipping, you'll need all
> the WALs.

So, just to verify my understanding. Using a ramdisk for pg_xlog on a hot
standby slave should be ok in all cases as long as the archive and master
retains all wal files that are not applied?

I maintain a fairly active database (>100GB of wal files every day) and
putting the wal files on a ramdisk (only for the slaves of course) helped
quite a lot.

--
Eld på åren og sol på eng gjer mannen fegen og fjåg. [Jøtul]
<demo> Tore Halvorsen || +052 0553034554