Hi Ken:

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 7:33 PM, Ken Tanzer <ken.tan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for all the info and suggestions.  I'll just observe that sure, you
> can do it with a regex, but I'm still surprised that this can't be done with
> to_char.

Well, this may be a good enhancement request, add something like
d=decimal point, supressed if alone.

> In particular, one might reasonably choose a format string like
> 'FM999,999D99' and not realize it will fail on whole numbers.  Is there any
> particular reason the D is not suppressible in this case, either by default
> or as an option?  It seems to me if the trailing 0s are suppressed, the
> decimal should follow suit for whole numbers.

It does not fail, it just works in a diffrent way of what you would
like. Regarding supression, IMO it's a bad thing, it can lead to
misleading results. Imagine it is, and you do a right aligned print (
usual for numbers ) of prices 5.45, 1.20, 99.00, 2.40, and you end up
with ( using x for align )
price:
------
xx5.45
xx1.20
xxxx99
xx2.40

It would be misleading, I prefer to have xxx99., ugly but clearer IMO
( of course one never supress decimals in prices, so I would use
990D00, but anyway ).

Francisco Olarte.