On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 4:26 PM Nicolas Paris <nipari...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is the way to build a binary format (instead of a csv) ? Is there
> specification for this file ?
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-copy.html
>

> Could I create such format from java ?

You can use COPY JDBC API to copy to STDOUT and then compress it before you
use usual Java file operations to write it to a file. You will have to
follow the reverse process while reading from this file and LOADING to a
table.

But why would you want to do that?

> I guess this would be far faster, and maybe safer than CSVs

I don't think assumption is right. COPY is not meant for backup, it is for
LOAD and UN-LOAD.

What you probably need is pg_dump with -Fc format.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-pgdump.html

> Thanks by advance,

Best Regards
Sameer Kumar | DB Solution Architect
*ASHNIK PTE. LTD.*

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069 533

T: +65 6438 3504 | M: +65 8110 0350 | www.ashnik.com