you never did answer my previous question, why are you messing about with
manually starting postgres from the wrong user account, when it should be run
as a system service with systemctl ?

I am upgrading an existing system running CentOS 5.6 with Postgres 8.2.5 to
CentOS 7 with 9.2.15. The original system modified the postgresql script to
manually running postmaster to start the database under the current user
control. So it is really for compatibility with the rest of the code.

So currently to create the database I run:

/usr/bin/initdb --pgdata=/usr/test/databases/pgsql/data --auth=ident

And to start the database with:

/usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /usr/test/databases/pgsql/data

If local is used for unix domain socket connections do I change --auth to
--auth-local=ident for initdb?

Thank you.