"Day, David" <d...@redcom.com> writes:
> We have a server side function written in plpgsql called by the client side
> application. That fx does work that includes
> Invoking a server side plpython2u function.
> If I repeat calling  this severer side logic/function outside our app from a
> a psql invoked connection and I monitor
> the memory growth on the backend side I see top reporting a  continual growth
> trend after each burst of invocations.
> The premise was that the issue of the repeated invocation of the python
> interpreter and/or the python function  use of a "subprocess" method
> does not cleanup correctly and this  accounts for the memory growth and
> system performance degradation.
> FreeBSD 10.1, postgres 9.5.3 or postgres 9.3.11, running on VM,  no relevant
> problems indicated in log files.

It'd be very useful to find out whether you can reproduce the leakage in
9.6beta (any beta release will do).  There are a couple of significant
fixes in plpython that might be relevant --- I'm looking at these in
particular:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=8c75ad436
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=1d2fe56e4

We did not back-patch those changes because they seemed rather
invasive/risky compared to the value for average users.

If you still see misbehavior in 9.6, it'd be worth trying to extract
a self-contained example.

                        regards, tom lane