On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 14:24:16 -0400,
 Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

Unfortunately, these particular characters are U+2013 and U+2014 so you
lose.

Thanks for saving me some time, as it would have taken me quite a while to figure that out.

I'll adjust the constraint so that good strings aren't rejected. Which was my immediate problem. I'm not that worried about bad strings getting added, since the data also gets checked before trying to add it to the database.

Obviously there's room for improvement here, but so far nobody's been
motivated to work on it.  Last discussion about it (AFAIR) was this
thread:

One thing I would suggest is documenting this limitation under: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/functions-matching.html#FUNCTIONS-POSIX-REGEXP

I might have missed it, but I did try reading that section to see if I was doing something wrong before asking on the list. In particular I would expect this limitation to be noted under:
9.7.3.6. Limits and Compatibility