Hi All,

I recently came across an interesting problem relating vacuuming, triggers
and table partitioning.

We have a “virtual table” with a BEFORE trigger that redirects writes to
its child tables. This was all fine well and good until we wanted to use
RETURNING to get the id back — the trigger returns NULL to prevent the row
from being inserted.

We modified the trigger to RETURN NEW and then added an AFTER trigger that
deletes it (WHERE ctid = NEW.ctid). This was working great until a few days
later. The plan for queries against the partitioned table naturally
includes it (there is no constraint preventing writes to it) and this table
was many gigabytes in size with indexes to match! But SELECT count(*) ...
returned 0 rows. The queries became very slow, searching an index full of
deleted rows. Running TRUNCATE ONLY ... fixed the problem.

This is really only a temporary fix, though. We can have a cron job running
in the background running TRUNCATE ONLY ... but this seems like the kind of
thing that auto-vacuuming should have handled for us, before the problem
got “too large”. Are there auto-vacuum settings that we can set, globally
or on the table, to address this situation?

Kind Regards,

  Jason Dusek
​