After much cogitation I eventually went RAID-less. Why? The only option for
hardware RAID was SAS SSDs and given that they are not built on
electro-mechanical spinning-rust technology it seemed like the RAID card
was just another point of solid-state failure. I combined that with the
fact that the RAID card limited me to the relatively slow SAS data-transfer
rates that are blown away by what you get with something like an Intel NVME
SSD plugged into the PCI bus. Raiding those could be done in software plus
$$$ for the NVME SSDs but I already have data-redundancy through a
combination of regular backups and streaming replication to identically
equipped machines which rarely lag the master by more than a second.

Cheers,
Steve