On Nov 29, 2016, at 8:12 AM, Israel Brewster <isr...@ravnalaska.net> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 2016, at 10:04 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.ja...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jeff.ja...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Israel Brewster <isr...@ravnalaska.net
>> <mailto:isr...@ravnalaska.net>> wrote:
>>
>>> - What is the "best" (or just a good) method of keeping the WAL archives
>>> under control? Obviously when I do a new basebackup I can "cleanup" any old
>>> files that said backup doesn't need,
>>>
>>> You have said you might be interested in doing PITR. So you want to delay
>>> the cleanup so as to not compromise that ability.  You need to develop a
>>> policy on how far back you want to be able to do a PITR.
>>>

>>> but how do I know what those are?
>>>
>>> pg_archivecleanup -n /mnt/server/archiverdir
>>> 000000010000000000000010.00000020.backup
>>
>> Ok, but where does that "000000010000000000000010.00000020.backup" come
>> from? I mean, I can tell it's a WAL segment file name (plus a backup label),
>> but I don't have anything like that in my WAL archives, even though I've run
>> pg_basebackup a couple of times.
>>
>> I get one file like that for every pg_basebackup I run.  Could your
>> archive_command be doing something to specifically short-circuit the writing
>> of those files?  Like testing the length of %p or %f?
>
> My archive command is simply a copy - straight out of the examples given in
> the documentation, actually. Only test I do is to make sure the file doesn't
> exist before running the copy
>
>> Do I have to call something to create that file? Some flag to pg_basebackup?
>> At the moment I am running pg_basebackup such that it generates gziped tar
>> files, if that makes a difference.
>>

>> That is how I run it as well.  I don't think there is a flag to
>> pg_basebackup which even allows you to bypass the creation of those files.
>> You are looking in the WAL archive itself, correct?  Not somewhere in a
>> listing of the base.tar.gz file?
>
> I am looking at the WAL archive itself. One thing that just occurred to me:
> in my testing, I've been running the base backup from the secondary slave
> server. Perhaps that makes a difference? I know the slave itself doesn't
> archive WAL files, but I would have expected the master to get the message a
> backup was being run and do any needed archiving itself.

So to test, I ran a base backup from my primary server rather than the
secondary - and the .backup file WAS indeed created in the WAL archive
directory. So I guess that means I have to run base backups from the primary
server. Are there any performance implications to doing this that I should be
aware of? Something that would imply I need to make sure to run the backup
during lull periods?

Israel Brewster
Systems Analyst II
Ravn Alaska