On 02/16/2017 11:33 AM, 2xlp - ListSubscriptions wrote:
Can someone enlighten me to how postgres handles disk writing?  I've read some
generic remarks about buffers, but that's about it.

We have a chunk of code that calls Postgres in a less-than-optimal way within a
transaction block.  I'm wondering where to prioritize fixing it, as the traffic
on the wire isn't an issue.

Basically the code looks like this:

        begin;
        update foo set foo.a='1' where foo.bar = 1;
        update foo set foo.b='2' where foo.bar = 1;
        update foo set foo.c='3' where foo.bar = 1;
        commit;

If the updates are likely to be a memory based operation, consolidating them
can wait.  If they are likely to hit the disk, I should schedule refactoring
this code sooner than later.

I would suggest taking a look at:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/wal-configuration.html

--