On 28 Feb 2017, at 21:51, Bruce Momjian wrote:
I have researched this and will post a blog and and document the fix in
the next few months.  The reason you have to supply the entire
certificate chain to the root CA on the client is because you have not
used the "-extensions v3_ca" flag to openssl when creating the CA x509
request.  You have to mark the certificates as CAs so they are passed
from the server to the client. You are looking for the CA certificates
to say:

        X509v3 Basic Constraints:
                CA:TRUE

My `ca.cert.pem` file has

    X509v3 Basic Constraints: critical
        CA:TRUE

The `intermediate.cert.pem` has

    X509v3 Basic Constraints: critical
        CA:TRUE, pathlen:0

This intermediate cert was generated using the `v3_intermediate_ca` extension defined in [1]. I wouldn’t expect *not* to have to give the full certificate chain to the client, since both were created by me.

To summarise my problem and solution: the connection worked fine until `ssl_crl_file` was enabled. I was trying to use a CRL generated from the intermediate CA, assuming PostgreSQL would trust it since it knows about the full CA chain in `ssl_ca_file`. Apparently, it must be a CRL generated from the root concatenated to a CRL generated from the intermediate, and then it works.

[1]: https://github.com/RazerM/postgres_crl_test/blob/dd9ef3ac4dd74d1cdfc6403899a09d954fd9622a/intermediate-config.txt#L99

Kind regards,

Frazer McLean