On 05/16/2017 01:00 AM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 22:35 -0700, Ken Tanzer wrote:
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2409

Not sure whether we should *fix* this or not on RPM side. This may break some
of the existing installations, right?

I'm not objecting, just asking for opinions.

To me the principle of least surprise says that it should be fixed. At this point a pre-9.4 server is putting its socket where the primary client library(libpq) to said server cannot find it if a 9.4+ server is installed. The options seem to be:

1) Use the libpq appropriate for each Postgres version.

2) Modify the postgresql.conf to point at the socket directory that the controlling libpq is looking for. I could see this being messy.

3) Document the change in behavior. Possibly here:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/

PostgreSQL Yum Repository

Regards,

--