Hi there. We have a working database that was unfortunately created by initdb with default ("C") collation & ctype. All other locale specific settings have the value en_US.UTF-8 in postgresql.conf. The database itself is multilingual and all its data is stored in UTF-8. Sorting doesn't work correctly, though. To fix that, can I just do this:

update pg_database set datcollate='en_US.UTF-8', datctype='en_US.UTF-8' where datname='mydb';

This does seem to work on a testing copy of the database, i.e. select lower('БлаБлаБла') now works correctly when connected to that database.

Is there still any chance for corrupting data by doing this, or indexes stopping working etc?

p.s.: postgres 9.6.3

Thanks.