> My inquiry:
>
> Please discuss as to your point of view the advantage of
> PostgreSQL over
> Interbase and/or vise versa. I'm considering three (3)
> important points
>
> 1.  Speed

Postgresql is "spotty".  Some things it can do fast other
things are very slow.  It's really mixed.  So Postgres' speed
depends a lot of if you are so unlucky as to require some
feature that is not so fast.  I found recently for example that
"GROUP BY" is intolerably slow while other query types are
almost as good as Oracle in performance.  If you are designing
a brand new application you can design around this.
I'm sure each of the free DBMSes have something that must be
"designed around".  You just take your pick.

http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl