On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 12:50:15AM +1000, Andrew Snow wrote:
> Yeah, fair enough.  But mmap works well on the more popular platforms
> used for PostgreSQL.  And it can't *hurt* performance, and its probably

Actually, it CAN hurt performance, even on some of the more popular
platforms.

> worth doing simply so that PostgreSQL "plays nicely" with other
> applications using the VM resources on a particular system, instead of
> the "fixed size buffer cache" approach.

Using mmap() vs a fixed buffer doesn't really make much difference.  The
access patterns are going to be pretty similar in both cases and the level
of paging would be about the same.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/