Tom Lane wrote:

Weiping He <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I've met a wierd problem on a Solaris 8/sparc box with postgresql 7.3.3:
the server would automatically shutdown after a period of time of not
operating. The log show something like this:
pmdie 2

Assuming signal 2 is SIGINT on Solaris (look in /usr/include/signal.h to make sure, but that's pretty standard), this would indicate that something is sending SIGINT to the postmaster. The postmaster will interpret that as a fast shutdown request. So the problem is not with the postmaster, but with whatever is sending the signal.

I suspect this isn't a platform problem so much as a setup mistake.
How are you launching the postmaster?  Is it possible it's still
connected to a controlling terminal?  (If so, the shell would probably
SIGINT the postmaster anytime you typed control-C.)

regards, tom lane

emm, I'll check that. My first start method is:
pg_ctl start -l ~/pgrun.log

(I've export PGDATA=/pgsqldata)

but it reports:
  pg_ctl: test: argument expected

I'm using ksh I think, which I've also test in 7.4-devl version, the same result,
ISTM a little bug in pg_ctl script, but still didn't dig into it to see if I can
found the problem.

Later I use:
pg_ctl start >pgrun.log 2>&1

to start the program, and it runs ok. but, then the pmdie 2...

Thanks

Laser