If I understand your idea, and Postgres, this is like saying you want multiple backend processes, and definite, "NO". As far as I know, one connection == 1 xaction.

Andreas Jung wrote:
hi,

we are running Postgres 7.3.3 successfully on our portal sites
under Solaris. For a new project we have the requirement that
N processes need to write update/insert within the same time and within
the same transaction data in one table. More detailed: every process
opens its own connection, starts a transaction, updates *different* rows
and then commits. According to our postgres adminstrator, Postgres seems
to behave differently on Linux and Solaris. Any ideas on that?

Thanks,
Andreas

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster