I don't know if this is a postgresql bug or a problem with my architecture but I thought I would post here about a strange bug I just came across in my application.

I use OS X 10.2.6 as my development machine and FreeBSD 4.8 for my production machines. All systems are running postgresql 7.3.3. I just published some code to production and when testing the production results it blew up with a sql parsing error. The following sql worked fine on my OS X development machine:

select u.user_id, u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email_address, w.w9, pm.description as payment_method, count(s.user_id) as documents, sum(s.payment_amount) as amt_sum from ht_user u inner join writer w on u.user_id = w.user_id inner join payment_method pm on w.payment_method_id = pm.payment_method_id left join submission s on u.user_id = s.user_id group by u.user_id, u.first_name, u.last_name, u.email_address, w.w9, pm.description order by lower(last_name) asc

But on my production machine postgresql complained about the order by clause-- it wanted the table alias to be on last_name.

culley