It was RH8 where I saw the issues. It was so bad that I had one server freeze 20 minutes after reboot. And it wasn't a hardware issue; that server is now running with several months of uptime under heavy load.

Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

What distribution are you running?  I and a lot of other people use RH8 on
multiprocesor boxes, and it works great!

Jon