Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Andreas Fromm writes:

I was thinking of defining a view "users" over "persons" which would let
me retrive the list of useres. But How would I implement the rule for
insertiung users? I tryed the following but NEW is not known where I
want to use it:

CREATE VIEW users AS
   SELECT * FROM persons WHERE is_user(person.id) = TRUE;

CREATE RULE insert_on_users AS ON INSERT
TO users DO INSTEAD
INSERT INTO persons SELECT * FROM NEW;

You can write

... DO INSTEAD INSERT INTO persons VALUES (NEW.col1, NEW.col2, ...);

Yes, but the advantage of the select would be that I could do a SELECT .. FROM .. WHERE , or how can I perform a checking of the data before insertion?

Andreas