Kaarel wrote:

This is one of the reasons why the PHP people removed bundled MySQL
support in version 5 back in June.

Would a perl application using DBI have a similar problem? Or how would one then legally use PHP with MySQL without GPL-ing your product and without buying MySQL commercial license?

This is the very point of a conversation I had with Marten Mickos, CEO of MySQL AB Sweden, about the whole license change. I thought there is no way you sell any product, that can connect to any future MySQL server using the version 4 protocol, in binary format without the source code shipped under GPL or ... this is where the conversation faded off somehow ... and I don't know if MySQL expects you or your customer (who would actually run their GPL'd MySQL server, your proprietary application (il)legally connects to ...

I have CC'd Marten in this eMail. I am sure he can explain in detail what you are supposed to do from now on if you do not want to GPL your proprietary application written in PHP.

Jan

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not match