Stephen wrote:
Nope, I installed the RedHat 9 myself and no one else has access to this
machine. It's either that Redhat uses a different elevator setting for SCSI
drives than IDEs or the latest Redhat updates I applied brought it to my
current numbers. Besides, I believe your values may indicate an outdated
system because IIRC the max_bomb_segments has been disabled and should
always be zero because of some inefficiencies in the elevator algorithm.

Regards, Stephen

Well, I obtains the same values for two different RH9 installation:

# uname -a
Linux XXXX 2.4.20-13.9smp #1 SMP Mon May 12 10:48:05 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
# elvtune /dev/hda6

/dev/hda6 elevator ID           1
        read_latency:           64
        write_latency:          8192
        max_bomb_segments:      6

# uname -a
Linux XXXX 2.4.20-20.9smp #1 SMP Mon Aug 18 11:32:15 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
# elvtune /dev/sda7

/dev/sda7 elevator ID           5
        read_latency:           64
        write_latency:          8192