>> I'm curious as to what type of application you run and
what first
>> prompted you to switch to postgresql?

I would like to add my 2 cents to this although I have not
been asked by anyone about this :-)

If I remember correctly the fact about 7 years ago...
when PostgreSQL already supported
- sub-query
- transaction
- triggers
- stored procedures (functions)
, mySQL did not have any of these critical and essential
capabilities required by any serious bussiness applications.

When I noticed that fact, I have never turned my head back
to mySQL again since then. Why? Because I thought I would
take a train instead of a plane (if it indeed is), when I am
100% sure that the plane will not fly due to bad wether.

Regards,

CN

               http://archives.postgresql.org