Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Brendan Jurd wrote:

I have a few projects that could benefit from inherited table
structure, and it's a very cool idea, but this inability of indexes
to include derived tables is a real functionality-killer.  It's not
"Object Relational" if the objects can't be related to anything!

Hehe, but the "relational" means that the data is stored in relations,
not that the data has to be related to other data.

Fair call

If someone could give me an idea of how far away this fix is, I'd be
grateful.

No one has really expressed intentions to fix this, so I wouldn't hold
my breath.

So it's a case of "if you really want it fixed, fix it yourself"?  If only I knew anything about writing DBMS internals, I would have a shot at it.

/me proceeds to not hold breath

BJ