On Jan 6, 2004, at 3:27 PM, Oliver Elphick wrote:

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 22:06, Adam Ruth wrote:
1. Modifying the applications to use schemas instead of connecting to
   specific databases.  Getting the authors to use schemas so I do it
   once.

One thing I'd suggest would be to modify the application to issue a "set search_path = yourschema;" at the beginning, then the rest of the application wouldn't need to change. That's what I did when I did something similar.

You can use ALTER DATABASE to set that up permanently, without touching the application.

If you were combining several databases into one database with several schemas, each application will use a different schema. Thus each application would need to specify which schema it's using when starting up.