On 14/01/2004 00:17 Nigel J. Andrews wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Thapliyal, Deepak wrote:

> Thx Nigel..
>
> Also can you kindly advice how to turn autocommit to off

Probably:

SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF;

although I'm not sure that is still there in 7.4 and there was a lot of
discussion on it's 'brokeness' I believe. I'm sure someone else will
correct me
if I'm wrong. I don't actually know as I've never used that feature, I
have
always used explicit transaction starts if I have wanted multistatement
transactions, and I can't remember the details of the discussion now. A
search
of the list archives should yield a collection of posts on this subject.

I think you're right about "SET AUTOCOMMIT TO OFF" being removed from 7.4. In any case, what you want to is use transactions. I think the confusion occurs because in some (many?) client-side languages you inititiate a transaction by setting auto-commit to off (JDBC and ODBC do this) in the client-side driver. In the case of the PostgreSQL JDBC driver, this causes a BEGIN command to be sent to the server. I would imagine ODBC does the same.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas