Tom Lane wrote:

Mike Mascari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

But just as a quick notice to those upgrading from 7.3 to 7.4 with fully normalized databases requiring > 11 joins, the GEQO setting can be a killer...

Uh ... dare I ask whether you think it's too high? Or too low?

Too low. In fact, after testing some of my queries which are a bit large (# of tables) in size, I usually just wind up turning it off. I know that's insufficient evidence to do anything, but I have yet to stumble upon a query where GEQO performs better. Do the ODSL folks run their performance tests with it on? off? both? I'm sorry I haven't had the time to develop a rigorous test... :-(

Mike Mascari