Joe Lester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I installed Postgres 7.4.1 on a dual processor G5 running Mac OS
> 10.3.2. I'm trying to increase the max_connections to 300 and running
> into some trouble.

Hmm, it WorksForMe (TM).  You did reboot after changing /etc/rc, no?
Try "sysctl -a | grep sysv" to verify that the settings took effect.

Note that there's not much percentage in setting shmmax higher than
shmall * pagesize.  I see hw.pagesize = 4096 according to sysctl,
which means your shmall=65536 constrains the total allocation to 256MB,
so setting shmmax to 500M doesn't do anything...

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster