--- Mage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> >Uh, we have EXECUTE, but I don't know if will allow
> you to set a local
> >variable.  Maybe you can do:
> >

> execute doesn't support select into

It does, if you use the "for variablename in execute
..." syntax.  Which may seem like overkill for setting
just one value, but at least it will work for you.

Or you could investigate other procedural languages,
which may offer the capability you want.  I believe
pltcl does, and perhaps plpython also.