On 7-6-2004 23:29, Dennis Gearon wrote:
please CC me, I am on digest
---------------------------------
I have the following code from an application that is 'mysql_centric'. I want to make it generic across all databases, if it's possible, especially postgres :-)

mysql version:
   INSERT INTO calendar_setting SET setting='colorEvent',value='#C2DCD5';

There is no data in this table at this time.
Isn't this the same as:
   INSERT INTO calendar_setting( 'colorEvent' ) VALUES ( '#C2DCD5');

would this work on all db's?

Afaik your first example is equal to:
INSERT INTO calendar_setting( setting, value) VALUES ('colorEvent', '#C2DCD5');

Your first example isn't really SQL-standard and you'd perhaps better try using SQL-standard stuff as much as possible on MySQL aswell. The INSERT ... SET-version of INSERT wouldn't be my version to use.

Best regards,

Arjen

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster