Mike McGavin wrote:

Hello everyone.

Can anyone suggest if there's a way to force a plpgsql stored procedure to be recompiled every time that it's called, based on the values of the parameters that it's given? I assumed it would be possible, but unfortunately haven't been able to find any documentation on how to force a recompile at all, let alone automatically.

I've encountered a situation where the standard precompiled generic query plan isn't working at all well with the unknown variables that the stored procedure receives. It seems to do nicely if I replace them with constants, though. (Compilation time isn't really an issue in this situation, but I'd like to leave everything in the stored procedure for other reasons.)

I could probably re-write the procedure to concatenate a string containing the unknowns as constants and then EXECUTE it. Doing it that way seems a bit ugly, though, and it'd make maintenance a bigger problem.

Right now unfortunately this is the only one solution.

See the post on performance (8/28/2004) with the title:

ill-planned queries inside a stored procedure"

Regards Gaetano Mendola

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend