Peter Eisentraut wrote:

Ron St-Pierre wrote:

the line in the sql script to
SELECT * FROM myFunction() \o /dev/null;
output from this is suppressed. HOWEVER, I get an error when it tries
to process the next line;
psql:/usr/local/pgsql/quiet.sql:2: ERROR: syntax error at or near
"SELECT" at character 26

No, what actually happens is that the first SELECT is never executed, because there is no terminating semicolon. The semicolon at the end of the line belongs to the \o command. So when it processes the next line, it appends the text to the previous command and tries to execute that invalid concatenation. What you really want to use instead is the \g command.

You're right Peter, the \g works. Thanks for the explanation, I can now see why using \o wouldn't work.

Ron

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?