Sebastian Davancens wrote:
Hi everyone. Im having a problem with heritage. The situation is the following:
I have two tables, tbl_everyone and tbl_employees. tbl_employees
inherits from tbl_everyone.
In tbl_everyone, i store some information about everyone who is
related with the place where i work: Name, ID (PK), Birth Date,
Adress...
Then, in tbl_employees i have aditional information, like area, position, etc.
The problem appears when i have someone in tbl_everyone that becomes
an employee. What do i have to do ? Consider that ID in tbl_everyone
is used in auxiliar tables, so i cannot easily delete the person in
tbl_everyone and insert it again in tbl_employees...

Have you tried deferred constraints, eg:

BEGIN;
SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
DELETE ...;
INSERT ...;
END;

I've haven't had chance to test this, but I think this could
be what you're looking for.

--
Mark Gibson <gibsonm |AT| cromwell |DOT| co |DOT| uk>
Web Developer & Database Admin

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster