Michael Fuhr wrote:
On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 01:30:08PM +0000, Randy Yates wrote:

Randy Yates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I'm confused. Where is the lock? Is it on the 1 record in the model table?

Yes.

If so, why is that record locked? Is it possible in Postgresql to update
the primary key of a record?

When you insert a row that has a foreign key reference, PostgreSQL
does a SELECT FOR UPDATE on the referenced row in the foreign table;
the lock prevents other transactions from changing the referenced
row before this transaction completes.  Unfortunately it also
prevents other transactions from acquiring a lock on the same row,
so those transactions will block until the transaction holding the
lock completes.

There are some proposal to have another kind of lock in order to avoid the above. I hope soon.

Regards Gaetano Mendola